Bidding on SFPS Projects
The SFPS Purchasing Department in conjunction with the General Services Department administers the advertising, bidding and awarding of all formal, competitively bid school construction projects, including the pre-qualification of contractors and all post-award contract activities.
Santa Fe Public Schools' process for designing and building schools is summarized below.
Architect Review & Selection Phase
The Facilities Planning Division evaluates and selects architectural and engineering firms for school projects with a panel of judges. A typical panel consists of the department's chief financial officer, facilities director director, program and project managers, school principal, and other facilities managers.
Educational & Design Standards Phase
The School Design Team and school staff participate in a series of meetings to align the school's construction plan with a program-based design that meets the unique needs of each school's learning community. For more information on the composition of the School Design Team and the entire design process, please refer to the District's Design Process Manual.
Design & Construction Phase
Schematic Design Phase
- The first phase of the architect's basic services in which the architect consults with the District on project requirements and prepares schematic design studies consisting of drawings and other documents showing the scale and components for the District's approval. The architect first must participate in the School Design Process described above to gather feedback from the school and community.
- The second phase of the architect's basic services in which the architect prepares drawings and other presentation documents to fix and describe the size and character of the entire project as to architectural, structural, mechanical, and electrical systems, materials, and other essentials as may be appropriate. The architect also prepares a statement of probable construction cost.
Construction Documents Phase
- The third phase of the architect's basic services in which the architect prepares working drawings, specifications, and bidding information.
Design-Build Construction Phase
- The fourth phase of the architect's basic services in which a prime or main contractor bids or negotiates to provide design and construction services for the entire construction project.
- The fifth and final phase of the architect's basic services, which includes the architect's general administration of the construction contract(s).