To prevent the spread of head lice and to standardize the treatment of head lice throughout the Santa Fe Public School District.
- Head lice are not a crisis! It is considered a nuisance disease.
- Head lice are not related to poor personal hygiene.
- Head lice do not cause any other disease.
- It is important to keep calm, diplomatic and maintain confidentiality. A child’s sense of self-worth and privacy can easily be invaded by insensitivity.
- Head lice do not jump, hop or fly from person to person. Transmission occurs by close personal contact or transfer of nits / lice onto objects such as hats, coats, scarves, combs, hair brushes, hair ornaments, pillows, and/or blankets. Recommend that children do not share these items.
- Head lice are not a reportable condition to Public Health. However, Health Offices can assist with treatment and education.
- Santa Fe Public Schools follows the guidelines of the NM Department of Health as written in the School Health Manual.